Thursday 29 March 2012

Quote #1 Tally

"I can't imagine of anything worse than being required to have fun" -Tally Page 49

            This quote was said by Shay near the beginning of the book, around the time when her and Tally first go to the Rusty Ruins. She reveals a big part of her character when she says this. She shows that unlike almost everyone else, she doesn't agree with the operation and prefers to look the way she was meant to look. This is the first time in the book that any real sort of conflict occurred. This conflict was with Tally and Shay, and their completely opposite opinions of the operation. Tally believes that there could not be anything better than to be Pretty, but obviously, Tally thinks otherwise. I think that this quote is important to the story because this is when you learn that there are no perfect worlds and it is also the point when the plot begins to unfold.

           This quote relates to me because, like Shay I do not agree with everything that the general public may agree on, like my taste in music or my view of things like politics. Though I may not know a whole lot about things like politics, I still have strong views that rarely ever change, and when they do they are changed by me not someone else persuading me, much like Shay. This quote can be related to the world because of how people are always challenging the government because they believe things should be done differently. I think that this is a good thing however because, without people challenging the government, we would have a dystopian society like the one in Uglies. This also relates to a book I read (and many others have as well) called  "The Hunger Games", this is a series in which the government, and mainly the president rule with an iron fist and force children to fight to their deaths in an arena. However the main character decides to oppose this force and in the end succeeds in over throwing the government. This is very similar to Uglies and in fact Scott Westerfeld has a very similar writing style to that of the author of The Hunger Games Suzanne Collins.


No comments:

Post a Comment