Saturday 31 March 2012

Quote #4 Tally

"I'm Tally Youngblood, make me pretty"  -Tally Page 425
This quote is one of the more memorable quotes in the book. Being the last thing written in the book, and also being a major cliff-hanger this quote is very successful at captivating an audience. It definitely captivated me! If one had simply read this quote without reading the entire book, you would be greatly mis-lead. If you had only read that quote you would think that Tally betrayed everyone, and just became pretty, however it is the opposite. Tally wanted to test the cure for the lesions and the only way to that was to become pretty. So she was not being selfish but was actually putting her life on the line to help The Smoke. This is obviously a very important point that people might miss, as some people might flip to the back of the book just for a spoiler and they will end up thinking that the ending is completely different.

This quote can relate to me in a minor way. As it actually took me by surprise when I first read this book. I admit, I did flip to the back of the page and I did think that Tally was going to betray The Smoke. However when I finished the book I was caught off guard by what really happened and this was an interesting experience for me as I have rarely come across a book like that.  This connects to the world by showing what some people will do to be beautiful. Of course as I said before Tally did not betray The Smoke, but even if she did I would not be surprised. Considering what some people in today's society will do to look beautiful. People pay wild amounts of money of make a minor changes to their appearances and this just shows how superficial today's society is. You might even call it a dystopia!  This quote does not directly relate to any books, (well it does relate somewhat to The Hunger Games, but I promised not to use that) however it does relate to a newspaper article I read about a women who paid about $5,000 in weight loss programs and diets and such, and never actually lost much weight. This again shows how desperate people can be to lose weight and look beautiful. To be honest I don't there is any real miracle cure, the only thing you can do is eat healthy and exercise so all those ads about losing 100 pounds in a month are all bogus because the human body can't adapt to such drastic changes so quickly. But those are just my thought s on this highly debated matter.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading every part of this blog. It is engaging and thoughtful. Excellent work.

    ReplyDelete